Okay, before you think I’ve completely lost my mind, hear me out. In an effort to simplify (and save a little cash), we decided to ditch our satellite. When we really thought about it, the only things we cared to watch are on network television, which we can get with an antenna on our television, or available through netflix or online, so last Wednesday was our last day with the satellite. Plus, when I look back on 2007, I regret not reading more books. Hopefully not having as many channels will help me remember to read more.
Right now we only have our antenna connected to our bedroom television, so the only tv watching in the living room is on dvd or my laptop. Here’s what I’ve learned from a weekend of not having the television on constantly (it’s still football season, I’m not about to ban television completely just yet).
- I kind of like the quiet.
- I love watching a season of a television series on DVD. I watched disk one of one from Netflix and it was great fun to get to go to the next episode right away.
- Normally, I spend a lot of time in the living room because the television is there. This weekend, I cleaned my craft room a bit (still a ways to go in here) and I’m actually sitting in it, something I don’t think I’ve ever done. I am usually only in my craft room to clean up the junk in here or to get something/use something for a specific project. There’s lots of stuff I like in here. I will be in here more often.
- I get a lot more done if the television isn’t on. Man, it really does suck you in, and I think it makes me more tired rather than helping me rest. I went for an almost 20 mile bike ride, caught up on laundry (no easy feat, there was a ton of it…for such a little kid, he sure goes through the laundry), began cleaning my craft room, posted my stash to ravelry (still adding details there), went out to eat twice and to church, and there’s still Sunday evening to go!
- Sometimes, if a netflix movie has just "sat" in your house for two months, there’s probably a reason. I finally watched Pursuit of Happyness this weekend and, while it was not a bad movie, there was a bit too much sad and not enough happy for my taste.
All in all, it was a good weekend and I’m happy with our decision to ditch the dish for now.