So I’m not busting out the Christmas music just yet, I do wait for thanksgiving before doing that, but I am starting to plan the activities on our advent calendar this year. Each day from December 1st until Christmas Day the boys get to pick an activity out of our advent calendar. Sometimes it is a big event, sometimes just a small thing, but they are always fun ways for us to spend time together during the holiday season!
When I begin planning, I start by plugging in all of the things that have to happen on a certain date, like a Christmas party or performance I know we plan to attend. Then, I make a list of the things we can do on any date. As it gets closer to December, and our plans get more firm, I will plug those into the calendar.
I thought I might share a list of advent activity ideas that we have done in the past in case this is also your tradition (or you just want some ideas for holiday fun). I try to make sure we have an emphasis on doing for others and also that each day doesn’t cost money as that can add up quickly.
Advent activity ideas:
- Make Christmas cards for soldiers or a local hospital
- Read a holiday book or go look for some at the library
- Go to a Christmas related performance: we have done the nutcracker and are considering a symphony performance this year but there are also often free performances at parks and churches this time of year. We have plans to see a free Christmas movie in a local park and maybe some live musical performances that are also free.
- Make hot chocolate
- Bake and decorate Christmas cookies
- Deliver gifts to the neighbors
- Write a letter to Santa
- Volunteer at a local charity. This often requires kids be a bit older but I’m excited to have some volunteer activities on the calendar for C1 this year!
- Pick out and donate a toy to charity
- Make Christmas cards for grandparents or teachers
- Watch a Christmas movie – the Prep & Landing movies/shows have become a favorite around here
- Have a picnic in the living room
- Make special season themed foods – we have made snowman shaped pizzas which were a big hit
- Make Christmas ornaments
- Wear Christmas shirts or pj’s
- Tell a friend something you like about them
- Give out candy canes to people who help us throughout our day with a note thanking them for what they do for us
- Holiday parties – if we have one on a given day, that is our advent activity that day
- Have a dance party to Christmas music
- Go for a drive to look at Christmas lights
- Go out for a special holiday treat (this is usually snowman cookies at Starbucks for us)
- Go to an area tree lighting ceremony
- Tell each other what you are thankful for today
I’m getting excited about the holiday season and the fun that our advent calendar will bring this year.