Okay, so the tank isn’t really 70’s at all, but the collar fabric reminds me of the 70’s so there you go. I finished my first garment from my pattern that I made using what I’ve learned in Cal Patch’s Pattern Drafting class on Creativebug. The fabric is some I’ve had in the stash for a while, with the intention of making a top, and the collar is some I picked up last week to coordinate. I love how it turned out!
I decided to make a tank pattern off of my original pattern that had some slight waist shaping but no darts, just to see what that looked like on me. I have a feeling there will be a lot of trial and error to figure out exactly what I like, but that’s good as I’ll end up with a variety of garments from that experimentation. I really like how this one turned out! It’s not perfect. I had to adjust the shoulders, as I discovered after doing the bias tape on the armhole that it didn’t have enough slope. I tore out the binding and just gave the seam a bit more slope. It makes it lay down much better and I will adjust my pattern for future sleeveless tops.
Overall, I really like this shape on me, and I definitely anticipate using this pattern again and tweaking it slightly to make it do what I want. I am also glad I did the collar. I thought about just leaving it off, but I think it adds a lot and I wouldn’t like it as much without it. Big thanks to my Instagram friends who told me to go with it! I got maybe a little too excited and bought a bunch of fabric today, so I guess I better get to sewing!