Playdough Perils*

I volunteered to make Playdough for C2’s school this week.  They have parents take turns making it, and they provide the recipe.  All I had to do was make it.  So, I started to make it last night.  I began mixing the dry ingredients and discovered I didn’t have any cream of tartar.  I know I had some.  It was just in there.  Well, the last time I used it, it was in there, but who knows how long ago that was.

So, this morning, I went to the store and got the missing ingredient.  I came home and during my lunch break, I made my first attempt.  The recipe that was provided had microwave instructions.  Basically, you zapped it for a minute, stirred it, repeat.  Each time I zapped it, it seemed to get more damp along the bottom rather than drying out.  It just never got to the right consistency.  I’m sure it was user error somehow.  But, after this, I was fairly convinced that I would fail this mission.

I found a recipe online that included all of the same ingredients, but it was on the stove instead of in the microwave.  I gave it another go, this time with the help of C1.  We actually managed to do it!  We made a yellow that I scented with vanilla, red that I scented with imitation strawberry and orange that I left unscented.  Whew, that was close!  I do really like this recipe and hope to try it again to make some for us!


*I may be reading too many superhero stories with the kid these days.


One thought on “Playdough Perils*

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s