First Week on the Job


Thank you all for your kind words welcoming Cameron into the world…I am sorry that I haven’t emailed you individually to thank you, but many of you understand what life is like with a newborn!  Cameron and I have survived my first week of Motherhood.  My mom was here and was a great help and today we are on our own for the first time.  It has only been a week, but I can’t imagine what life was like without him.  Overall, he’s a pretty laid back baby, so far.  He gives us at least one 4-hour stretch of sleep at night, which is such a blessing, and does pretty good throughout the day.  He usually does have a 3-4 hour stretch during the day when all he wants to do is eat, so I do spend a good bit of time nursing, but the pediatrician wants us to feed him as often as he wants to help him regain his birth weight.

Since I’m always interested in these things, I’ll tell you a little bit about Cam’s arrival.  I went in Friday morning about 9 a.m. to be induced.  They almost didn’t have a room for us, which would have made me crazy, but someone cancelled, freeing up our labor and delivery room!  We got there and I was already at 3 cm.  They broke my water, started the pitocin and we were off.  By about 12:30 p.m., I was starting to really feel the contractions, to the point that I couldn’t talk or concentrate on anything as they were happening, so I requested the epidural.  We weren’t sure if an epidural would work since I have had two back surgeries, but the anesthesiologist was great and it worked!  I got that at 1 p.m. and was dilated to 4 cm.  By 3 p.m., I was fully dilated and ready to push!  I was amazed.  After an hour and a half of pushing, and a little help from the doctor (his head was huge and round, so I needed some assistance), Cameron arrived at 4:19 p.m.  All in all, it went pretty quickly and just as good as I could have expected because it resulted in exactly what I wanted, a healthy baby!

As far as blogging goes, he is starting to take some decent hour long naps and such, so I may be able to pick up my knitting again soon.  Before Cameron was born, I had gotten close to finishing my Retro Redux Shrug and had started the quilting on my first quilt.  Those will be my first projects to return to, but I’m also itching to start something up for the kiddo now that his blanket is finished.  Must check my queue on Ravelry to see what I want to work on next.


11 thoughts on “First Week on the Job

  1. congrats again! phew! your delivery was nice and fast (whereas mine, hhmmm, not so much.) take this time to really soak him in and enjoy him. my husband and i were just looking at pictures of the peanut when she was first born and it’s all a big blur! be sure to cement some of those first days in your head.

  2. He is so sweet! And I’m glad you had such a great birth experience. (Sorry if this posted twice, but something happened when I tried to comment the first time and it disappeared.)

  3. He’s beautiful! I am starting the sleeves of his sweater today. Body is done and waiting the sewing of the steeks. Of course he won’t be able to wear it for a few years!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s